What is Mindful Meditation?
Mindful meditation is the practice of sitting with our innermost feelings and thoughts and paying close attention to them.
It can be up to 10 minutes at a time, at least 20 minutes for beginners. More about taking an interest in what you are feeling or thinking, without judgment or evaluation. The art of cultivating awareness by focusing on your breath, body, or emotions while letting go of judgments and thoughts. In this way, one can develop clarity and concentration that extends beyond the meditation time.
How does it work?
A major cause of stress is the constant barrage of thoughts in your head. Mindfulness meditation is a practice that can help you to gain more control over your thoughts and emotions.
Now, we will be looking at mindfulness meditation, what it means, how to practice it, and its benefits. Mindfulness Meditation is an activity where you focus on the moment at hand- on what you are currently experiencing. This could be as simple as focusing on your breathing or paying attention to the taste of food. It’s about being aware of yourself and your surroundings without judgment or criticism. In essence, it’s about being mindful of all that you see and feel around you in that moment without reacting emotionally to it.
- Set aside meditation time. You don’t need anything to get started with mindfulness meditation. All you need is a bit of time and space and some patience.
- Observe the present moment as is. The aim of mindfulness is to bring awareness to the present moment without making judgments. This can be tough but we're going to give it a shot!
- Let your judgments go away. When you notice judgments arise during our practice, you can make a mental note of them and let them pass.
- Get back to observing the present moment when wondering starts. Our minds often forget to stay where they are and we get carried away by thoughts. Bring it back and don’t get angry at yourself. This is why mindfulness meditation is a great practice to help you remember what’s happening in the present.
- Be kind to your mind. Don’t judge yourself for what thoughts come up. If you realize your mind has wandered off, just kindly bring it back to where you left off.
The Benefits of Mindful Meditation
Mindful meditation is an ancient practice that has been around for centuries. The benefits of mindful meditation include increased emotional intelligence, increased levels of happiness, and improved sleep.